Box Elder Peak


This week I did Box Elder Peak. I had planned to do the Timp North peak, but then late Friday night got to looking at the route and considering the snow conditions, and decided I probably shouldn't do it alone. So I was up late figuring all that out and got started later than I had hoped on Saturday.
The ride up to the Granite Flat campground was nice with a tailwind around the point and comfortable temps.
![]() |
| Move M |
I realized it pretty quickly, but didn't want to backtrack, so I kept going up thinking I would cross over (mistake). The problem was, it just kept getting worse with gullies forcing me up rather than left to where I wanted to go. I ended up climbing a long, steep climb of broken slate and shale with a pretty significant drop below. It was loose and slippery with not much to hold on to. I kept attempting to veer left, and eventually I made it over the top and onto the ridge. While I never felt it was ridiculously dangerous, I was glad it didn't get worse.
The top and upper descent were all snow, and except for one traverse of another couloir (which would be a fun ski run) it all went quickly. I had to stop once for a moose that wouldn't get out of the way, but a little calling out got her to move.

![]() |
| The summit of North Timp was shrouded in clouds. I was glad I didn't do that climb today. |
![]() |
| Box Elder turned out to be a great climb from the back door. The hike reminded me how spectacular the Wasatch is. |




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home