Salt City Circle
I was supposed to race St. George today. I love that race. In the expert class I was had a long lead in '05 and '06 when I lost to mechanicals, and I won it last year. With anticipation I took yesterday off work to drive down, but by Thursday night no one was going with me and I was doubting whether it was really worth the 10 hours of driving. Normally I'd get a good camping trip with the family out of the deal, or at least camping with friends, but not so this year.
Added to these thoughts was the fact that I haven't felt very good on the bike this year. I just haven't had much zip (or enthusiasm). I was looking at 2+ hours of wishing I could keep up with the other pros.
The clincher was my wheels (get it?) -- I didn't really have a bike ready. Friday morning I pulled the front tire off to No-Tubes it, and it took a couple hours to get it to inflate. When I finally got it inflated, it was leaking around the spoke holes because the rim tape wasn't sealing.
Additionally, the back wheel had a broken spoke. The I-9 wheels use their own spokes, and although I had a couple, the rear hub is asymmetric, and I don't have anymore for the drive side.
Anyway, 1+1+1+1=0 and I didn't go, instead fixing some things around the house and then riding for 3 hours. Then today, I rode for 5 more hours. I rode around the city.
House-Kennicot. Kennicot-Airport. Airport-U of U. U of U back to house. The weather was very windy but warm and I enjoyed the ride. I thought about and slightly envied the guys in St. George, but I made the right choice. I wasn't ready to race, and I needed some solid training efforts. Funny how one can feel a bit tired and slow, do eight hours of exercise, and feel rejuvenated.I also got to spend last night with Kim on a date and spend this afternoon on a daddy-daughter date with Heidi.
So it turned out great.

2 Comments:
boo
OK. I just didn't want you to make me look bad when you caught and passed me first lap in St. George (maybe you can wait till the 2nd lap in Hurricane?).
Post a Comment
<< Home