2008-01-07

Nevermind

Tired of contacts flushing out during races or getting all foggy and goopy after biking and skiing, I decided to get LASIK done on my eyes. I stopped wearing contacts for a month, got all scheduled, did a couple exams, and showed up today for the surgery.

They gave me a Valium (which, as far as I could tell, did nothing except make me a little tired), and scanned my eye-balls with a different corneal topology tool than had been used before. This revealed that I'm not such a good candidate after all. I have a flat-spot in my right eye that is associated with some possibly degenerative disease of the eye. Apparently it is considered a rare genetic condition, and even more so in my case because (for now) it only shows in one eye. In the long run, it will probably not be a big deal.

Not one to push such things, I readily agreed that we should drop the procedure at that point.

Disappointed and a little time wasted, $2000 saved, and no harm done, for me the debate over whether LASIK would be a good idea had ended.

1 Comments:

Blogger reabbotted said...

That's a bummer. At least they figured out you were a poor candidate before they did the surgery.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home