Holy St. George
Last weekend was the Annual Desert Rampage in St. George, Utah. For several years this race has marked the beginning of the Intermountain Cup race series and, for that matter, MTB racing in Utah.
The last two years I have come into this race feeling good physically, but then had mechanical problems spoil the day, so this year I was more careful in making sure everything was ready to go. I Stans'd my tires about a month ago so I could ride them a few times, built my new bike earlier than in past years so I wasn't racing an old bike, and gave everything a good check-over.
We took the whole family down on Friday with the trailer. It was a snow storm here in Draper, but sunny and cool in St. George. Scott and I pre-rode our courses and then Kim did a long run with one of her Triathlon team-mates. Next year that course might be largely built over with houses so it is likely to change, but for this year is was the same as it has been for a few years.
Saturday morning Ian insisted he wanted to sign up and race, so both he and Scott did the race. He's only 3, but with some rests, he was able to ride the 9 and under race just great. Scott had a fine race, but his chain kept falling off. I don't know why he doesn't want a new bike, but as long as he's happy with what he has...
Reed and I are both racing Expert this year, but he is going for Team Mad Dog. The 19-29ers started one minute behind the Pro's, and we were a minute after the 20-somethings.
We took off, with Chad Harris jumping out to the front. I was feeling quite comfortable next to him, so I just slid back behind till we hit the end of the flat, and then moved into the lead as we reached the first single-track. He rode well the first lap, with Brad Pilling and Brian Jeppson right there with him. I believe Scott Allen was also in there for a while, and this Brandon Cunningham (I don't know who he is) must have been there too, but I was really only aware of Chad and Brad until Chad dropped off, and then it was just Brad. I spent the first lap expecting Brad to catch right up, but it became evident it wasn't quite his day. Brad and I yo-yo'd around, sometimes he was right behind, sometimes further back. His lower three gears were not working right, and his seatpost slipped about an inch, both of which certainly slowed him down.
In the end, I was happy to finish in the lead by about 45 seconds -- a great start to the 2007 season.
Meanwhile, Reed double-flatted out on the course, the first flat due to I don't know what, the second because mini-pumps don't really work. I've yet to use a mini-pump that was even worth carrying after it was even a couple months old. CO2 (or Propane) is the only real option.
Lynda Wallenfels was also at the race, broken bones and all. She didn't ride, but her son did the race with Scott and they became buds. She spent much of the day chatting with Kim, who really enjoyed meeting her. I spoke with her a little. I already knew she is a strong rider, and now I'd add she seems like she'd be a good coach.
After the race Kim went riding for a few hours while I played in the dirt with the kids and packed up. When we got home, the snow on the driveway was so slippery that we could not get the trailer backed up into the garage, so at 1 AM we spent about 90 minutes chipping ice and spreading snow-melt so we could get it put away.
It was a great weekend. Glen Ames did an excellent job running the race, there were lots of great prizes, the weather was good, and the course was fun.
Labels: Race Report

1 Comments:
What a fun trip! I'm amazed by Ian and Scott's races. And I think it's great that so many members of your family enjoy doing pretty much the same activities together. I sure wish we'd been there.
Post a Comment
<< Home